My 2019 didn’t go well due to some circumstances that I don’t have control. I got depressed but I still held on to Him and trusted Him that He will always, in all ways provide. A year ago today, He did answer my prayer. I was hired by my American boss as his virtual assistant of his newly launched scooter brand here in our country.
I was scared at first because having “real work” meant that I won’t have control on my time anymore. Again. If you remember, I’ve been an entrepreneur for the last 10 years of my life. I never really wanted to work again for someone, especially when Coco came into my life. I was so firm that I would give my best with my businesses, so I could provide for my financial responsibilities. All because I want to be hands on with Coco and watch him grow. But I can’t have it all. I needed to do something. I needed to let down my pride.
After so many CV applications submitted that I’ve been doing since 2018, I only landed to 2 zoom interviews, and never a job. They say, if something is meant for you, it will happen. I met up with my boss for an interview. I didn’t get the job right there and then. But I guess, we were really meant to be. Here I am at the moment, trying to figure out why our Amazon listing isn’t working while I think of what I wanted to say on my first year as a WAHM.
My heart is grateful for the year that was. It wasn’t perfect with so many struggles. But I made it through I think.
1. I still get to watch Coco grow up, take care of him and just be with him. I am still able to be with him at all his important milestones. This has always been my non-negotiable. I did not need to hire a nanny or rely on my mom to take care of Coco to be able to work and to take care of the household. I am there when I need to be and I need not to choose between work or family.
2. Its flexibility to work even if I am outside on a grocery errand or picking up Coco from his classes or when I am still in bed, lying down — because I can use my phone to work. I work anytime and anywhere. Sometimes I work all day and sometimes its just chill. Sometimes I am still exchanging e-mails with the boss at 3AM PH time because he is currently in the US. My off is supposedly during weekends, but sometimes it is up to me.
3. It doesn’t matter where I am when I work. As long as I have internet connection, my mobile phone and my trusty laptop. We’re good. I was supposed to experience working while on vacay last summer when we were supposed to stay in the US for a couple of months. But I was able to try working while on staycations or some out of Manila trips. I did not need to take a leave because, I can work anywhere.
4. Unlimited learnings – like operating e-commerce sites, our products, people management and behavior, customer support, and even accounting via Quickbooks. Thanks to my boss for enrolling me to some courses that helped me a lot with my job.
5. Getting to do what I love the most – BLOGGING. Sometimes, I need to attend an event or spend some time creating content for my social medias. Don’t worry, my job will always be my priority. I’m just thankful that I can still do this. Because writing has always been my passion.
6. I don’t have to wear make up or dress up. I don’t have to comb my hair or take a bath early in the morning. Simply that.
7. There’s no need to wake up early to prepare for work or get home tired from work because of Manila traffic. I dreaded my travel to and from work, especially when it is raining. I can still remember how I had a hard time when I was still working at a hotel in Ortigas before I resigned due to my pregnancy.
8. I didn’t have to panic anymore when I need to pay my bills or need to buy some stuff because I don’t have any orders coming.
9. Savings! One day, I will be more financially independent. One step at a time.
10. Me time and more me time. I can now get a massage, maniped or a haircut without feeling guilty of wasting my money for those services I don’t really need.
PS. Always grateful for you, Boss for taking me into your wing and trusting me with your company and also taking in my brother. Thank you for simply just picking me up when I am at my lowest. I will do my best, as always, especially now that you are not in the country. Maasahan mo ako! (You can count on me)
If you tell me right now, that I should have done this earlier. Yes, I should have. But I think what happened to me happened to me happened at the right moment, at the right time. I love being an entrepreneur and I am not closing my doors just yet. Lil Dudes Only is still close at the moment since there are no events that needs us to dress up the boys. I will open it back again one day. But being at this place now, is what matters to me at the moment. I will not have it in any other way. As happy as I am working now, but just being present with Coco at this moment, while working is beyond that.
Thank you and Happy 1st year of being a work-at-home-mom! Margaux, you are doing great in everything! Cheers!
What about you? What are you grateful for from being able to work from home?
PS Again. Please note that not all available work at home jobs can work via mobile phone and at the comfort of your bed. I still actually get up and work on my lappy. XD I hope I don’t mislead you.