It’s been 4 weeks since I finished watching Reply 1988 and honestly, I can’t seem to move on. I even just finished watching it for the second time at this very moment that I am writing this. It just hit me to the core… so bad!
It felt really nostalgic. It felt like I was also there, I was alive in that moment. Even if I wasn’t and even if I was just 2 years old back then. It feels like their families were mine. Even if it wasn’t. I felt myself in each one of them. I felt everything, most especially their friendship. This Kdrama is all sorts of emotions. Nope, all my emotions exploded. I totally fell in love with Reply 1988 – with Deok Sun, Taek, Sun Woo, Bo Ra, Jung Hwan, Don Ryong, Jung Bong, No eul, Jin Joo and their parents. All of them.
Reply 1988 follows the lives of 5 friends and their tightly-knit families who lives in the same block called Ssangmun in Dobbong District, Seoul.
It is a nostalgic look back of their life’s most memorable moments and struggles when they were 18 years old.
Read on for everything that I learned and realized…
1. There is no such thing as a perfect parent because along the way they could make mistakes too. They worry about how to raise their children, what to teach them and how to shape them into the person they want them to be too. But what we know is that, all parents will do their best.. nothing but the best for their children.
2. When we lose someone we love, it will always hurt a lot. We will always miss them, every single day of our lives that we don’t have them by our side. The pain, it will never go away, we will just endure it. We will move forward, but we will never forget.
3. Money isn’t everything. Don’t ruin your relationship over money. Not worth it.
4. It is okay to lose sometimes. It’s all part of the game. The most important thing about it is that you learn from it and you’ll do better next time.
5. No matter how old you are, you will always need your mom. No matter how many times they scold you for being so irresponsible, they will always want to be needed.
6. There’s nothing more magical than your first love. But your first heartbreak is something else…
7. Don’t be too hard on yourself… you may think you are not good enough for your the people that you love, but you know, in their eyes, you are more than enough. Before it’s too late, tell the people you love that you love them. Tell it to them so often, before it’s too late.
8. In a world where you can be anything, choose to always be kind. Why? Because you’ll never know what a person has been going through in their life. You might just be the person that can lift their spirits up because of the kindness that you shared.
9. He will not give you anything you will not endure. But you know, sometimes you don’t have to endure it on your own.
10. Running away won’t solve anything. Communication will always be the key.
11. Don’t raise your standards so high on your children. Just let them be themselves. Don’t pressure them into something they are not. Let them be or do something that they are good at. Just trust them with what they can do. They’ll make it. Why? Because it is you who raised them!
12. Moms will give their children everything.. even if they suffer, as long they can. They will do anything for us, because they want nothing but the best for us. It’s just how moms are.
13. Fathers may be tough on the outside, but really, they are really soft in the inside. They endure all the aches because they have to protect the people they love.
14. Everyone is worth of love — to love and be loved.
15. Parents will never give up on their child. They will always love them, no matter what.
16. If you love someone, tell them. Tell them before it is too late. On the other hand, what weighs more to you, friendship or love? It’s up to you to decide.
17. It’s okay if you don’t know what you want to be at 19. You have a lifetime to get to know more about yourself. But then again… Don’t forget to dream, you know, you can always find your dream.
18. Fate and timing doesn’t happen by coincidence. It will always be about the choices you will make. It will always be up to you. It will happen if you don’t hesitate and start to do something about it.
19. When things are dark, remember you are not alone. You will always have your family and friends with you by your side.
20. It will always be a great feeling to look back on the days when we were young. Those times are all beautiful, especially when shared with great people in our life. These are the moments we have to treasure the most. It is what built us. It is what made us who we are now. It is our youth.
Honestly, it took me 10 days to finally start this post. I stopped and re-watch the episodes again, because as I have said earlier, I just can’t move on. The feelings are all raw. It took me also, I think, 3 weeks to finish its 20 episodes because I just don’t want it to end. I just want to be in their world, in their era.
But like the Ssangmun-dong Squad, I also have to move on with the memories created and shared. It is just so hard, I feel like when I finally click PUBLISH it would just end. But all beautiful things end and somehow, I will bring this with me for a long, long time. I hope you do too.
Today is Day 15 since I started this post. And I’m finally hitting the PUBLISH button now and formally saying GOOD BYE YOUTH…. GOOD BYE Ssangmun.
Spoiler NOT Spoiler: This is Deok Sun and Taekky in 2015 (Age: 45)
Isa pa =)
Photos 1 and 3 were Googled. All the screenshots are from Netflix.